NCDs are the #1 cause of death and disability worldwide.
NCDs – mainly cancer, cardiovascular disease, chronic respiratory diseases, and diabetes account for 70 percent of global mortality; 80 percent of premature deaths from NCDs occur in low- and middle-income countries, and everywhere they disproportionately impact the most vulnerable people. Many NCDs are preventable - no person should have to endure avoidable suffering.
We invite you to join us as we make 2018 a pivotal year for NCDs;
Political leaders, policy makers, and others who make decisions about people's health and future need to hear that we have had ENOUGH.
Our health is our right, and all people need action to protect it right now.
Some more information on NCDs:
- NCDs are not transmissible from person to person
- 15 million people between the ages of 30 and 70 die each year from NCDs
- 86% of NCD deaths occur in low and mid-income countries
- Much of the death and disability from NCDs is preventable
- The main modifiable risk factors for NCDs are unhealthy diets, tobacco use, alcohol use, and physical inactivity.
Countries around the world have committed to targets to reduce the burden of NCDs by addressing specific targets on access to care, treatment, and reducing risk factors. But we need you to commit to hold governments to account as countries are not on track to meet those targets by 2025.